Plastering helps the walls get a perfect mirror finish. If you are planning to plaster your walls in a do-it-yourself project, here are some tips to help you get the attractive smooth finish for the walls.
Plastering walls needs a lot of time and effort. If you do not have the patience and time, the perfect solution to plastering your walls is to contact an expert plasterer in Sydney to help you with the project. But if you have enough time on your hand, follow the guide to plaster you walls like an expert.
- The first step before you start plastering is to prepare the wall surface to be plastered. The surface should be skimmed properly before starting the plastering process.
- If you want to use a plaster board, there is no need of skimming the surface.
- If your wall has an existing plaster and you want to skim it, first prepare the surface with PVA bonding. Consult a professional plasterer in Sydney, if you are not sure about how to go on the process of plastering.
- Use clean tools and buckets for holding the materials. As any bits of plaster or dust on the equipment will ruin the finishing.
- Start with mixing plaster in water. Take water in a bucket first and add little amounts of plaster slowly, so that you can get the desired consistency. Mix using a plaster drill and take time until you get a smooth mix.
- Wet plaster is a conductor of electricity so it is advisable to shut down all electric equipment and tape loose wiring.
- Most of the experienced plasterer in Sydney advise to plan the process in advance. You should never start plastering two adjoining walls at the same time as the join will not get a smooth finishing.
- Always give two coats of plastering to hide any marks and rough edges. Start the polishing process only after giving two coats of plastering.
- Keep the room well ventilated and cool as hot temperatures make the plaster to dry fast and applying dry plaster is difficult. Work fast and try to finish plastering as soon as possible.
- If you feel the necessity of an expert help, contact professional plasterer in Sydney to correct your mistakes and complete the project.